LRDC Personnel Manager
Important New Information
Remote Location Work Arrangements ›
LRDC staff are part of an LRDC family work community. At LRDC, we value the face-to-face meetings and collaborations. However, there may be times when a circumstance warrants a remote work location arrangement. In Addition to the University’s requirements for Remote Location Work Arrangements, LRDC also has the following requirements: Central core staff including Fiscal Services and Computing Services will not be permitted to work remotely. Lab managers will not be permitted to work remotely. All requests must be processed through the LRDC personnel manager, and all requests must be approved by the employee’s immediate supervisor, the LRDC Director of Administration, and the LRDC Director.
Please click on the link below to complete the request.
New Recruitment Requests ›
Effective March 7, 2016, all new recruitment requests, both new positions and replacements, must be approved by the Provost's Office prior to submission in PittSource. This includes positions that may be filled by current student or temporary employees, or if the hiring supervisor has a candidate in mind. Detailed justification should include, at minimum:
- Why the position is essential to the function of the unit
- Consequences of not filling the position
- Budgetary impact
- Any further information that can have an impact on the approval
Obtaining this approval will require additional time for processing, so please keep this in mind when requesting a hire.
New J-1 regulations ›
OIS is now required by the Department of State to collect proof of English Language Proficiency as part of the J-1 visa application process. Program sponsors (hosting departments) are required to determine if the incoming J-1 exchange visitor possesses "sufficient proficiency in the English language to participate in his or her program" AND "function on a day-to-day basis." The government also states that an objective measurement be used to determine the J-1 exchange visitor's English proficiency.
This applies to J-1 Research and Short-Term Scholars for LRDC.
Accepted objective measurements
- Native English Speaker - If the J-1 exchange visitor is from a country whose official language is English.
- Recognized English Test - Test results should be less than two years old. The Office of International Services recommends a minimum TOEFL score of 75 with all subscores in at least the intermediate or fair range or an IELTS score of at least 6.5.
- Signed Documentation from an Academic Institution or English Language School - Acceptable documentation includes a transcript or diploma certifying completion of a degree at an institution where the sole language of instruction is English or official certification of completion of an English language program within the previous two years where proficiency attained is clearly indicated.
- Documented Interview Conducted by the Program Sponsor (host department) - An interview should be conducted when none of the above documentation is available or where documentation does not clearly indicate current, adequate English proficiency for the proposed J program. The interview must be held in-person, through a video-conference, or telephone (if video-conferencing is not an option). You must use the provided J-1 English Proficiency: Interview Assessment Report
New procedures for hiring hourly and Work Study student employees ›
Hourly and Work Study student employees are now hired through PittSource: https://www.pittsource.com/
I have created a form to facilitate recruitment, please contact me.
If you already have a student in mind, the position still must be posted through PittSource, though you are not expected to interview any other applicants. I will need the student’s name, phone number and email address. If the student has already worked for the University, they do not have to obtain clearances at this time, unless they will be working with children; nor will they have to obtain I-9 verification.
If the student has not previously worked for the University, they will have to obtain clearances, and will have to complete the online I-9 verification and take their identification documents to Panther Central, within three days of their start date. If this has not been done, they will not be permitted to continue to work for you until it has been accomplished.
They must apply from the clearances prior to starting work, and bring printed responses, proofs, and confirmation pages to me for submission to HR.
If you are recruiting a student, I will send you the applicants’ documents; once you have decided on a candidate, I have a student hiring form for you to complete, please contact me and I will send it.
NEW HOURLY/WORK STUDY STUDENT EMPLOYEES CANNOT START WORKING FOR YOU UNTIL THEY HAVE BROUGHT THEIR DOCUMENTS TO ME TO SUBMIT TO HR.
New student timesheet submission in PRISM TRKS ›
Hourly and Work Study student employees will now submit their timesheets in PRISM TRKS, on a weekly basis, effective December 21, 2014, and will be paid bi-weekly. Students have already been made aware of the process to submit timesheets; approval is very similar to approval for staff timesheets.
If you have any questions, please let me know and I can give a demonstration.
Changes to your address and W-4 income tax withholding form
Using PRISM, you can now change your home address and W-4 withholding status online.
To change your address:
- Navigate to the University portal, My Pitt, at my.pitt.edu
- Enter your University Computing Account username and password*.
- Click on the "Log In" button.
- Click on the "PRISM Login" link.
- Select "PHR Employee Self-Service" responsibility.
- Select "Change Address"
- Click the Update box and follow the directions
To access your W-4:
Navigate to the University portal, My Pitt, at my.pitt.edu.
Enter your University Computing Account username and password*.
Click on the "Log In" button.
Click on the "PRISM Login" link.
Select "PHR Employee Self-Service" responsibility.
Select "W4 Tax Form".
- Click the Update button, make appropriate changes, and click Continue.
*Note: if you have forgotten your username or password, contact the Technology Help Desk at 412-624-HELP (4357) for assistance.
You do not have access to PRISM and therefore are unable to submit address or W-4 changes online. Please complete the forms here:
And submit using one of the below methods:
Postal mail: University of Pittsburgh, Payroll Department, 207P Craig Hall, 200 South Craig Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15260