Internal Policy and Guidelines (Effective 7/1/2005)
- Petty Cash is only for research studies! Absolutely no travel advances or travel reimbursements will be allowed.
- Cash can only be withdrawn for the requestor's research projects.
Faculty must notify Fiscal Services in advance if a study is going to be conducted. Please use the following form for notification: notification link.
- There is a limit of $2,000.00 per transaction - any exceptions must be authorized by the Director of Fiscal Services.
- There will be a penalty for any lost, stolen, or outstanding checks over 120 days old.
- Research studies must use uniform documentation for reporting purposes. Please use the following form for documentation: documentation link.
- Cash cannot be requested for advance usage. Transactions must occur within the month the request was made.
- The LRDC Petty Cash Fund has a finite dollar amount. Therefore, requests are taken on a first-come, first-served, priority basis.
- Appropriate security measures must be taken at all times to ensure unauthorized persons are prevented from having free access to withdrawn funds.
- Further guidance can be found within the University of Pittsburgh's "Direct Charging Practices Guidelines" at http://www.cfo.pitt.edu/policies/guideline/direct_charging1.pdf
Please fill out the above forms and submit to Brad Hyland on the 2nd floor
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How often would you like documentation?
A: At least once a month, this way we can keep current with your progress.
Q: Who can withdraw petty cash?
A: Only faculty and staff that are authorized on the Study Notification Form. Anyone not listed on the form will not be allowed to withdraw funds for that research project.
Q: How much money can I withdraw?
A: That depends. First, the availability of funds will dictate as to how much can be withdrawn at the time of the request. Second, the Research Contract executed by the Principal Investigator will dictate the agreed participant payment schedule.