in the news ►
How One Program is Closing the College Persistence Gap . . .
in the news ►
LRDC Seeks Interns for Undergraduate Research Program
in the news ►
IWALS 2018: Registration Now Open
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm, Martin Room, 4127 Sennott Square
Bilge Yurekli will present a study introducing and analyzing a new approach for examining the relationship between mathematics teachers’ beliefs and practices in the current Common Core era that focuses on the development of students’ conceptual understanding.
UPBI Special Seminar
4:00 pm, Biomedical Science Tower 3, Room 6014
Andrew B. Newberg, Professor and Director of Research, Marcus Institute of Integrative Health, Thomas Jefferson University and Hospital, will present "Principles of Neurotheology."
CNBC Brain Bag
► More Talks
6:00 pm, Mellon Institute Social Room, CMU
Thomas Kraynak, mentored by Dr. Peter Gianaros, will present "Associations Between Retrospective Reports of Adverse Childhood Experiences, Systemic Inflammation, and Resting Brain Connectivity in Midlife Adults," followed by Jamie Cohen, mentored by Dr. Kirk Erickson, who will present "Neural Responses to Reward Predict Weight Loss After a 12-Month Intervention."
- Ben-Eliyahu, A., Moore, D. Dorph, R., & Schunn, C. D. (2018). Investigating the multidimensionality of engagement: Affective, behavioral, and cognitive engagement across science activities and contexts. Contemporary Educational Psychology.
- Witherspoon, E., Schunn, C. D., Higashi, R., & Shoop, R. (2018). Attending to structural programming features predicts differences in learning and motivation. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 34(2).
- Fan, Q., Nummenmaa, A., Wichtmann, B. Witzel, T., Mekkaoui, C., Schneider, W., Wald, L. L., & Huang, S. Y. (2018). Validation of diffusion MRI estimates of compartment size and volume fraction in a biomimetic brain phantom using a human MRI scanner with 300 mT/m maximum gradient strength. NeuroImage.
- Tuninetti, A., & Tokowicz, N. (2018). The influence of a first language: Training nonnative listeners on voicing contrasts. Language, Cognition, and Neuroscience.
- Litman, D. J., & Nguyen, H. V. (2018). Argument mining for improving the automated scoring of persuasive essays. Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence.
- Ben-Eliyahu, A., Moore, D., Dorph, R., & Schunn, C. D. (2018). Investigating the multidimensionality of engagement: Affective, behavioral, and cognitive engagement across science activities and contexts. Contemporary Educational Psychology.
- Page, L. C., Iriti, J. E., Lowry, D. J., & Anthony, A. M. (2018). The promise of place-based investment in postsecondary access and success: Investigating the impact of the Pittsburgh Promise. Education Finance and Policy.
- Matsumura, L. C., & Correnti, R. (2018). Student writing accepted as high-quality analytic responses to analytic text-base writing tasks. The Elementary School Journal.
- Derringer, C., & Rottman, B. (2018). How people learn about causal influence when there are many possible causes: A model based on informative transitions. Cognitive Psychology.
- Kinloch, V., & Dixon, K. (2018). Professional development as publicly engaged scholarship in urban schools: Implications for educational justice, equity, and humanization. English Education, 50(2), 147-171
- Richey, E. J., Nokes-Malach, T. J., & Cohen, K. (2018) Collaboration facilitates abstract category learning. Memory and Cognition.
- Bray, L. E., & Russell, J. L. (2018). The dynamic interaction between institutional pressures and activity: An examination of the implementation of IEPs in secondary inclusive settings. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis.
- Xiong, Y., & Suen, H. K. (2018). Assessment approaches in massive open online courses: Possibilities, challenges and future directions. International Review of Education.
- Wu, Z., & Juffs, A. (2018). Revisiting the revised hierarchical model: Evidence for concept mediation in backward translation. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 1-15.
- Liu, A. S., & Schunn, C. D. (2018). The effects of school-related and home-related optional science experiences on science attitudes and knowledge. Journal of Educational Psychology.
- Liu, R., Schunn, C. D., Fiez, J. A., & Libertus, M. E. (2018). The integration between nonsymbolic and symbolic numbers: Evidence from an EEG study. Brain and Behavior.
- Tuninetti, A., & Tokowicz, N. (2017). The influence of a first language: Training nonnative listeners on voicing contrasts. Language, Cognition and Neuroscience.
- Kinloch, V., & Dixon, K. (2017). Equity and justice for all: The politics of cultivating anti-racist practices in urban teacher education. English Teaching: Practice & Critique 16(3), 331-346.
- Dorph, R. Bathgate, M. E., Schunn, C. D., & Cannady, M. A. (2017). When I grow up: The relationship of science learning activation to STEM career preferences. International Journal of Science Education.
- van den Broek, P. & Helder, A. (2017). Cognitive processes in discourse comprehension: Passive processes, reader-initiated processes, and evolving mental representations. Discourse Processes, 54(5-6), 360-372.
- Helder, A., van den Broek, P., Karlsson, J., & Van Leijenhorst, L. (2017). Neural correlates of coherence-break detection during reading of narratives. Scientific Studies of Reading, 21(6), 463-479.
- San Pedro, T, & Kinloch, V. (2017). Toward projects in humanization: Co-creating and sustaining dialogic relationships. Centennial Issue of American Educational Research Journal, 54(1S), 373S-394S.
- Kinloch, V., Burkhard, T., & Penn, C. (2017). When school is not enough: Understanding the lives and literacies of Black youth. Teaching of English Journal, 52(1), 34-54.
- Kinloch, V. (2017). “You ain’t making me write”: Culturally sustaining pedagogies and Black youths’ performances of resistance. In D. Paris & H.S. Alim (Eds.), Culturally sustaining pedagogies: Teaching and learning for justice in a changing world (pp. 25-42). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Papay, J. P., Bacher-Hicks, A., Page, L. C., & Marinell, W. H. (2017). The challenge of teacher retention in urban schools: Evidence of variation from a cross-site analysis. Educational Researcher, 46(8), 434 – 448.
Copyright 2015 Learning Research & Development Center | University of Pittsburgh | All rights reserved